It was originally established in Buffalo, New York, in 1853 as the W.A. Case & Son Manufacturing Company. In 1952, it was acquired by the Ogden Corporation, a company that identified itself as an investment company; however, after acquiring Case, the Securities and Exchange Commission argued that Ogden was not an investment company, and so it came to identify itself as a manufacturing company. Today, Ogden is known as the Covanta Energy Corporation.
In 1963, Briggs Manufacturing purchased Case, an action that helped Briggs become a very prominent and innovative force in the plumbing industry.